Hunchback of Notre Dame
AUDITIONS: Mon., Jan. 29 and Tues., Jan. 30, 2018, from 6-9PM each night at FBC Mason, 735 Reading Road * by appointment
CALLBACKS: Wed., Jan. 31 and Thurs., Feb. 1 from 5:30-10:00PM at FBC Mason, 735 Reading Road (see notes below)
AUDITION AGES: 12-18 years old
FIRST REHEARSAL & PARENT MEETING: Sunday, Feb. 11
REHEARSALS: Beginning Feb. 11 – Sun. 1-5PM, Tues./Thur. 6-9PM, at ROYAL’s Main Street Studio; the entire cast would be called for two weeks, and then a full rehearsal schedule for all roles will be shared for March – May.
SHOW DATES: May 25-27, 2018 – This is Memorial Day Weekend.
Director: Dirk Doebereiner
Choreographer: Jay Goodlett
Production Manager: Karen Kilgore
ABOUT THE SHOW:
Based on the Victor Hugo novel and songs from the Disney animated feature, The Hunchback of Notre Dame showcases the film's Academy Award-nominated score, as well as new songs by Menken and Schwartz.
The musical begins as the bells of Notre Dame sound through the famed cathedral in fifteenth-century Paris. Quasimodo, the deformed bell-ringer who longs to be "Out There," observes all of Paris reveling in the Feast of Fools. Held captive by his devious caretaker, the archdeacon Dom Claude Frollo, he escapes for the day and joins the boisterous crowd, only to be treated cruelly by all but the beautiful gypsy, Esmeralda. Quasimodo isn't the only one captivated by her free spirit, though - the handsome Captain Phoebus and Frollo are equally enthralled. As the three vie for her attention, Frollo embarks on a mission to destroy the gypsies - and it's up to Quasimodo to save them all.
A sweeping score and powerful story make The Hunchback of Notre Dame an instant classic. Audiences will be swept away by the magic of this truly unforgettable musical.
CAST ROLES INCLUDE:
Quasimodo, Captain Phoebus de Martin, Claude Frollo, Esmeralda, Jehan Frollo, Florika, Father Dupin, Clopin Trouillefou, Lieutenant Frederic Charlus, King Louis XI, Tribunal, Madam, Saint Aphrodisius, Congregation (gargoyles, soldiers, gypsies, citizens of Paris), Choir
An Audition Appointment is NECESSARY
Ages 12-18 Click Here for an Audition Appointment
- Audition ages 12 - 18
- Place: FBC Mason, 735 Reading Road, Mason
- Bring a small current headshot photo to the audition (photos will not be returned). Photo does NOT need to be professional.
- Make an Audition Appointment and print the resulting audition form. Be sure to bring that printed audition form to the audition.
- You only need to come to one of the audition dates. Appointments are very strongly recommended. Those without an appointment may not be able to audition if time slots are not available.
- If you cannot make either audition date, you may submit a video audition. Please click Video Audition Information for details. Video Auditions must be submitted to PRODUCTION@CHILDRENSTHEATREOFMASON.COM by Monday, August 7.
- Callbacks will be held Wed., Jan. 31 and Thurs., Feb. 1 from 5:30-10:00PM at FBC Mason, 735 Reading Road. Those who are called back must be available for the entire callback time.
- Email any questions to email@example.com
- First rehearsal will be Feb. 11. The entire cast would be called for two weeks, and then a full rehearsal schedule for all roles will be shared for March – May.
- There will also be a mandatory parent meeting on Sunday, Feb. 11. Additional details will be provided.
- Rehearsals will be on Sunday afternoons (1-5PM) and Tuesday and Thursday evenings (6-9PM) at ROYAL’s Main Street Studios in Mason.
- Those cast in Hunchback of Notre Dame will pay a $125 participation fee which covers the cost of: a souvenir show t-shirt, garment bag for your costume/s, a one line personal ad in the playbill, and the main parts of your costume. Actors may be asked to supply specific accessories or generic pieces (ex. socks, tights, shoes, etc.)
- It is mandatory that parents volunteer for at least 6 hours on pre-production jobs (set painting, set building, parent monitoring, etc.), as well as for 2 volunteer time slots during the tech/show week (ticket sales, concessions, green room, etc.). Parents who cannot make this commitment should not have their children audition.
NOTE: We value your time and that of all actors. You may be stopped before the end of your audition. This is not a reflection of your performance only that the directors have seen or heard what they need to. If you have a specific part of your song you feel is very important, try to start near that portion so you are not stopped before reaching it.
- Please prepare a 30 second monologue.
- Please prepare 30 seconds of a song. Your song should showcase your acting ability and skills while singing.
- NO SONGS FROM HUNCHBACK, but please choose a song in the same style. No pop songs.
- No a cappella. YOU MUST bring music with no background vocals. No accompanist will be available. Music tracks can be found on Amazon, YouTube, itunes, etc.
- It is strongly recommended that you use an accompaniment track. There will be a CD player and speaker connection for mp3 players available.
- Please bring your accompaniment track on your phone, a CD or an MP3 Player.
- When using a CD, please edit your track to the beginning of where you will be singing.
- When using an MP3 Player, please edit your track or cue the track to the beginning of where you will be singing.
- Please note we cannot be responsible if CD/MP3 does not play properly.
Suggestions for your song:
- Select a song that is similar in style to the songs from Hunchback, and showcases your voice and your vocal range.
- Select a song that has as few key changes as possible.
- Select a song that does not have lots of rests or sing the song without those rests.
- If possible, pick a song that shows some quick delivery of words and pitches as well as some longer, sustained notes.
CALLBACKS may include a dance.
- Auditioners may be asked to learn a simple dance pattern at callbacks for those selected for callbacks ONLY.
- Please wear dance friendly shoes to callbacks.